top of page


Close to my Heart

Airfix: Sea Harrier  1/72 Scale

This was a build that I made for my Father-in-laws Christmas back in 2013. He served on-board HMS Hermes during the Falklands conflict.

Lt Cdr G W J Batt. DSC. was a close friend of my father in law and he has told me some fantastic stories about the mischief and antics that they used to get up to.

Here is his story.

Lieutenant Commander G. W. J. BATT. DSC 800 Squadron Fleet Air Arm

Gordon ('Gordy') was born in 1945 at Bircoats in Yorkshire, the only child of Rose and James Batt. His father, now deceased, was serving in the Royal Air Force at the time. Gordy was educated at Andover Grammar School and, as a member of the local Air Training Corps, took an early interest in aviation. He joined the Royal Navy at HMS Fisgard in Cornwall as an Artificer Apprentice, but was then selected in 1964 for Officer Training. At the Britannia Royal Naval College, Dartmouth, as an 'Upper Yardman' Cadet, he became interested in diving and sailing. Midshipman Batt then saw service in the Far and Middle East, returning to Dartmouth to continue his studies in 1967. After being commissioned as a Sub Lieutenant, he became the First Lieutenant of HMS BRAVE SWORDSMAN, a fast patrol boat. He married in 1970, and in the same year started pilot training. July 1971 saw the award of his Fleet Air Arm 'wings' as well the Ground School Training Prize. After completing Advanced Flying Training and Operational Training on Sea King helicopters, Gordy joined 824 Squadron, where he served in HMS ARK ROYAL until Easter 1973. At that time it became clear that despite the rundown of its 'big carrier' expertise, the Royal Navy would need to maintain a nucleus of fixed-wing pilots to crew the forthcoming Sea Harrier; Gordy Batt was among the first of a small number of helicopter pilots selected to train on fast jets. Thus began what was to be five-year secondment to the Royal Air Force, initially for training on Jet Provost, then the Gnat and Hunter, before qualifying on the F-4M Phantom. Gordon was then operational with 43 Squadron - the Fighting Cocks - at RAF Leuchars, where he lived with his family from December 1974 to August 1977. Gordy then returned to the Royal Navy as a student at the Naval Staff College, Greenwich until February 1978. A resumption of flying duties led to a two year exchange appointment with the United States Navy, in the highly esteemed VX4 Squadron at the Pacific Missile Test Centre, Point Mugu, California. He is still remembered there for his great skill in saving an F14 Tomcat after a dramatic low-level engine failure. For this he was awarded the US Secretary of State's Commendation for Meritorious Services in the Air. On return from the United States in 1980 he began his Sea Harrier conversion with 899 Squadron Naval Air Command, and moved to the Royal Naval Air Station at Yeovilton, in Somerset. He was due to become Senior Pilot of 800 Sqn in late 1982. Events in the South Atlantic intervened, and Lt Cdr Batt deployed south in HMS HERMES, with the integrated 800/809/899 Sea Harrier component of that carrier's Air Group. He flew several important missions as strike leader, including the bombing attacks on Stanley airfield, Goose Green, and several Argentine shipping assets. For these services and his outstanding leadership, Gordy was nominated 'in theatre' for the award of a Distinguished Service Cross. Then, on 23rd May 1982, about an hour before midnight, he launched from HERMES with three other Sea Harriers, to attack Stanley airfield once more. His aircraft was last off the deck, but was then seen to explode ahead of the carrier. The cause of this accident, which occurred about 90 miles NE of Port Stanley, was never established. His DSC was gazetted posthumously. Gordy Batt was a hugely respected, highly experienced, and much admired figure in the demanding world of Naval aviation. He is still very much missed by all who knew him.

Name plate was changed to Lt Cdr G. W. J. 'Gordy' Batt after these photos were taken

bottom of page